Thursday, February 25, 2010

Look, I'm blogging!

But who is reading it? I'm sure this question goes through the mind of almost every blogger, especially at the start. I've been fortunate to have actually made a living as a writer during periods of my life. Of course writing Sears ads about gutters and downspouts or, worse yet, a man's suit that you could actually put in the washing machine (I named it "The Wash 'n Flair Suit" and have apologized for it countless times) isn't exactly soul satisfying but it did help buy my first little house. Which led to my second bigger one and then my third now too large for us house. It's the house where the little brown dog lives. She's curled up on a way-to-large-for-her dog cushion that belonged to her much larger brown predecessor, listening to me clack away on my laptop. A southern girl almost a year old, I was concerned with her ability to deal with a Chicago winter. 2009-10 has been a good litmus test and she's passed with flying colors. I'm relieved since walking a dog wearing a plaid coat and strange little paw galoshes would be tough.

1 comment:

  1. You mention that you "clack away" on your laptop. I've got a theory about that. I believe laptop clacking is a trait shared by all ex-copywriters from Sears. Because every golden word of our catalog copy had to be hammered through four freakin' sheets of paper and three sheets of carbon. Or you'd have to do the whole damn thing over, until all the copies were clearly readable. So we all learned how to do the jackhammer keystroke on our trusty Smith Coronas, applying rapid finger thrusts of approximately 400 psi to each individual key.

    Thirty years later, my coworkers at the agency used to step into my office to see why I was attacking my highly senstive Mac keyboard with some sort of violent finger karate. Sorry. But once you've jackhammered, you never go back.

    Keep the blogs coming, Walt.

    ReplyDelete